[R] display postal codes for Germany on a map

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Mar 15 19:10:59 CET 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Stefan Pohl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there an R package with which is it possible to display postal codes
> for Germany on a map?

If you know the geographical or projected coordinates of the postcodes,
then there are plenty of possibilities, but this kind of data is typically
only available commercially and is not provided within R or its
contributed packages. If you do have, have a look at the classes and
methods in the sp package.

Since this is the second query from within the EU about postcode
coordinates and open acces to geospatial data in a short time, I'm
providing a link to:

http://okfn.org/geo/manifesto.php

and you may also refer to the EU INSPIRE initiative, but Europe is already
so far behind the US that I'm not optimistic about sensible access to
public geospatial data any time soon.