[R] Bioconductor package on linux machine

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Mar 16 15:02:51 CET 2006

Knut Krueger wrote:
> Hi together,
> we received a question about the bioconductor package,
> maybe anybody could help the guy and I will deliver the message over our
> forum to him.
> If this way is allowed ...
> Regards Knut
>
> Here the question:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed R on a linux machine. I have then installed the
> biocLite.R package from bioconductor.
> I wanted to install a few other packages - hgu133plus2cdf, rma .
>
> I downloaded the source files and installed in the directory
> /usr/lib64/R/library
>
> but when i try using those files, they show as not installed.
> Anybody encounter this problem before OR is there something else i am
> doing wrong?

The error is in the way you installed the packages. You cannot simply
take the .tar.gz files and unpack them in the library directory using
e.g. tar xvfz packagename.tar.gz. Instead you have to use the built in
package handling system. Note that biocLite() is a script that among
other things uses install.packages() to get things installed correctly.

What you want to do is:

source("http://www.bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite("hgu133plus2cdf")

Alternatively you can install the already downloaded packages (assuming
you downloaded the correct version for your version of R) using R CMD
INSTALL at a terminal prompt.

Additionally, although this problem would occur with most R packages,
enough of the details are strictly Bioconductor related so it is more
appropriate to post this sort of question on the BioC listserv rather
than R-help.

HTH,

Jim