[R] autoloading .RData files / .Rhistory file

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Mar 16 19:40:10 CET 2006

On 3/16/2006 1:23 PM, Greg Tarpinian wrote:
>      NOTE: WinXP, R2.2.0
>
> All,
>
> a while back I posted a question about using relative filereferencing.
> The responses have allowed me to successfully set up the following
> directory structure:
>
>    ...\data\raw
>    ...\data\derived
>    ...\prog
>    ...\lst
>    ...\log
>
> In the \prog directory I have put an RGui.exe shortcut and "pointed it"
> at \prog as the "Start In" location.  In the same directory I have
> created .Rprofile and .Renviron per the rw-FAQ.  In \log I have created
> .Rhistory.  .Renviron sets up several directory references that allow me
> to "point" R at the \lst, \log, \data\derived, and \data\raw directories
> without using full pathnames.  My three questions:
>
>   (1) Is it possible to have R use \data\derived as its default data
>       storage location?

I think

setwd("../data/derived")

would do that, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't want your .Rprofile and
.Renviron files in the same place as the data, so I'm not sure I
understand your goals.

>   (2) Related to (1), what command(s) would I need to put in .Rprofile
>       to get R to look in \data\derived and automatically load the
>       xxx.RData file **when it exists** ?? [This is the only directory
>       where an .RData file will ever be located; when an .RData file
>       exists, there will only ever be one of them.]

if (file.exists(".RData")) load(file=".RData")

>       Along these lines, it would be helpful to set R up so that when
>       .RData does *not* exist, upon quitting Rgui.exe R will automatically
>       save an xxx.RData file in the \data\derived directory.....

With the setwd() command above, that'll be the default location, but
you'll have to agree to save it.

>   (3) The .Rhistory file never seems to contain the command history of
>       my session.  It may be worthwhile to note that I always use an
>       explicit save.image(file = ...) command and that upon exit I always
>       decline to "Save Workspace Image?" since this is redundant.  How
>       can I get the .Rhistory file to capture the command history?

savehistory(file = ".Rhistory")

Depending on where you save it, it might not be loaded automatically; if
you want to load it, use

loadhistory(file = ".Rhistory")

Duncan Murdoch