[R] removing ROWS with missing values

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Fri Mar 17 02:10:54 CET 2006

My answers are going to be very similar but with minor cosmetic changes
that hopefully will make it bit more clearer.

1) How do you read in the data ? If you are using read.table (or
read.csv, read.delim, etc) you can set na.strings="-999" to take
advantage of the R's missing value features.

2) First count how many missing values. Then subset to the rows with at
least 6 numerical values:

  number.present <- rowSums( myMatrix != -999 )
  good.rows      <- which( number.present >= 6 )
  myMatrix.sub   <- myMatrix[ good.rows, ]

Note : change the first line to rowSums( !is.na( myMatrix ) ) if you
have coded missing values properly as in comment 1).

Regards, Adai