[R] Binning question (binning rows of a data.frame according to a variable)

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 13:56:40 CET 2006

On 3/18/06, Dan Bolser <dmb at mrc-dunn.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
> > If you are just looking for something simple that may be good enough
> > then assign the largest one to group 1, the second largest to group 2,
> > ..., the 8th largest to group 8 and then start over again with group 1
> > and so on.
> >
> > # test data
> > set.seed(1)
> > x <- sample(100, 100, rep = TRUE)
> >
> > xs <- sort(x)
> > g <- gl(8, 1, length(xs)) # 8 groups
> >
> > # so that g contains the groups that correspond to xs.
> >
> > tapply(xs, g, sum)   # 659 671 687 701 612 622 629 646
> >

> That is a fairly neat way of getting groups with a good 'approximate
> same size', however, in general I would like to be able to order my data
> in any way, and still cut it into equal 'size' groups (like quantiles
> for rows, but for row variable totals instead).

Do you mean you want g to be in the original order of x?  order(x)
is the permutation which sorts x and order(order(x)) is its inverse
permutation so apply that to the gl expression:

x <- c(10, 4, 15, 2, 20, 13)
g <- gl(2, 1, length(x))[order(order(x))]

# check it
identical(tapply(sort(x), gl(2, 1, length(x)), sum), tapply(x, g, sum))