[R] does lme repeated measures require sphericity?

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Mon Mar 20 14:14:53 CET 2006

John:

Linear models can have different covariance structures to accommodate
certain dependencies in the data. The functions for data analysis in the
lme4 package are flexible and can be structured as such. For example,
when random intercepts only are included, this is akin to compound
symmetry, but when random slopes are also introduced in a repeated
measures mlm using lmer(), then you have a more general covariance
matrix.

This isn't really an R question and most of the texts on mlm deal with
this issue directly.

Harold