[R] build R on windows

Jennifer Lai lai at lindaspaces.com
Wed Mar 22 19:32:31 CET 2006

I narrowed down the problem to the socketConnection call within the
package that I was trying to build.
The build package process seems to evaluate initialize function, which
is where socketConnection invoked in the package.

example code:
 >    socketConnection("localhost", 8888)

So,  if there is no server listening on the localhost, port 8888, then
the build process will hang until  N seconds (specify by timeout value)
has passed. With a very large timeout value, the process can look like
it's hanging and never returns.

I then experiment with firewall settings on Windows, thinking it might
have some clues to what was happening.
It turned out that firewall has no effect when the client is a Windows
box, and server resides on a Linux box or a Windows box. By no effect, I
mean
socketConnection to a host and non-listening port will only return after
timeout value has expired.
However, firewall has effect when the client is a Linux box, and the
server resides on a Windows box.  With firewall on, socketConnection
will return
after timeout value expired. With firewall off, socketConnection returns
almost immediately.

What about if both client and server are Linux boxes. As it turned out,
socketConnection also returns immediately, even if no one is listening
to the port.

Is there any workaround to this, besides setting timeout value to a very
small value?  Since this timeout value also controls the timeout on
receiving data, therefore we would like to make it as large as possible.

Regards,
Jennifer