[R] X11, fonts, R-2.0.1, R-2.2.1 and R-devel

Xavier Fernández i Marín xavier.fim at menta.net
Thu Mar 23 12:59:15 CET 2006

Hello,

I am having some problems with the X11 display in a gentoo linux laptop
with R compiled manually.
(https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2006-March/089701.html)

Whether I can open the X11 device and use it when I am using 'ion' as a
window manager, I can't open it using 'gnome', due to a problem related to
fonts:
-----8<---------------
Error in X11() : could not find any X11 fonts
Check that the Font Path is correct.
-----8<---------------

I have tried and compiled R-2.0.1 and _it works_.
With the latest stable version of R it does not work.
And with the latest development (22 march 06) it does not work, neither.

It is not due to the Xorg installation, because the display is opened when
using other window manager different from gnome (and other version of R)

It is not something related to the compilation options, for the same
reason.

So my last option is that it seems to be a problem with R, X11 and gnome,
specifically.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I have googled and somebody in the FreeBSD lists talked about more or less
the same problems, but it seems that without success:
http://www.archivum.info/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/2005-06/msg00313.html
http://www.archivum.info/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/2005-06/msg00307.html

I paste the sessions and the errors, if it helps:
-----8<---------------
R-2.0.1 $ ./bin/R

R : Copyright 2004, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.0.1  (2004-11-15), ISBN 3-900051-07-0

'help.start()' for a HTML browser interface to help.
Type 'q()' to quit R.

WARNING: UTF-8 locales are not currently supported

> X11()
> q()
Save workspace image? [y/n/c]: n
-----8<---------------

Works. The display is opened.

-----8<---------------
R-2.2.1 $ ./bin/R

R : Copyright 2005, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.2.1  (2005-12-20 r36812) ISBN 3-900051-07-0

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> X11()
Error in X11() : could not find any X11 fonts
Check that the Font Path is correct.
> q()
-----8<---------------

Doesn't work.

-----8<---------------
deu R-devel $ ./bin/R

R : Copyright 2006, The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Version 2.3.0 Under development (unstable) (2006-03-22 r37566)
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

Type 'q()' to quit R.

> X11()
Error in X11(display, width, height, pointsize, if (is.null(gamma)) 1 else
gamma,  :
        invalid 'width' or 'height'
> x <- rnorm(50)
> y <- rnorm(50)
> plot(x,y)
Error in X11(display, width, height, pointsize, if (is.null(gamma)) 1 else
gamma,  :
        invalid 'width' or 'height'
> X11(width=200, height=200)
Error in X11(width = 200, height = 200) : could not find any X11 fonts

--

Xavier Fernández i Marín