[R] Search for the minimum of a fitted curve

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Mar 24 03:43:01 CET 2006

	  Elementary calculus problem:  You estimate

	  y(A,B) = b0+b1*A+b11*A^2+b2*B+b22*B^2.

	  The first partial derivatives are as follows:

	  dy/dA = b1+2*b11*A
	  dy/dB = b2+2*b22*B

	  Set the first derivatives to 0 and solve for A and B.  This will be a
unique global minimum if and only if b11>0 and b22>0.

	  What you did will work more or less in many situations with functions
for which the calculus is not as simple or is even unavailable.  If the
function you want to minimize is more complex, you might consider "optim".

	  If you want confidence intervals, you could use the so-called "delta
method" if you know some calculus (or can find someone who does). Or you
could a Monte Carlo with what you did.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves