[R] Newbie question about SQL and data sources

David Whiting david.whiting at ncl.ac.uk
Sat Mar 25 06:42:53 CET 2006

Hi Rex,

Take a look at the Data Import/Export manual that ships with R to get a
feel for some of your options. I use a variety of techniques depending
on what I am doing. Quite often I use MySQL, accessing my tables via
RODBC. Other times text files are most appropriate. Then on other
occasions I am given datasets in DBF, stata, spss, or some other format
and use the foreign package to import them.

When I have tables of data that I know are not going to change I often
save them as Rdata files, document them and make a simple package of
them so that I can load them quickly and I have the information I need
about the dataset and variables to hand (very useful months later when
I've forgotten what half the variables represent).

Dave