[R] "transparent" background for PDF

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Sat Mar 25 21:58:08 CET 2006

As far as I know, PowerPoint does not import pdfs. Without telling
you it transforms it in a png. And it is not very smart about making
a high res png at that. Maybe it is also not very clever about taking
the transparent background into account?

When I must use PowerPoint, I either transform the pdf in png myself,
or prepare the presentation in Keynote and export to PowerPoint
format. This also translates the pdf figures into png figures, but at
much better resolution than what PowerPoint does.

I tried making both pdf and png from my R program. I had hoped I
would use the same settings for both devices (just copy and paste the
plot instructions into a call for each device), unfortunately it did
not work because to do better than PowerPoint's translation, I had to
save the png version of my plots at high resolution, and that meant
that all of the plot adjustments I made so that the pdf version
looked nice (position of text, size of margins, etc) had to be fine-
tuned differently for the png version, which was too time consuming...