[R] new to the list - problems with non-solid lines in eps export

Gregor Volberg gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de
Sun Mar 26 13:44:18 CEST 2006

Dear all,
I am new to this list and, unfortunately, could not provide help to anyone as
yet. I hope I can do so in the future, though! Until then, I am grateful for
helpful hints from you more experienced users.

For use in an upcoming publication, I generated an eps figure from  my x11
window under Debian Linux with dev.copy2eps. It contains 28 line plots with 2
lines each, one solid and one dotted (they show event-related brain
potentials in two different conditions, if this is of interest for someone).
The plots are arranged in a window with width=5 inch and height = 6 inch, so
single plots are quite small.
Now the problem: When I include the file in Latex or other word processing
programs, the dotted line is almost unreadable. The whole waveform consists
of, say, 20 dots, which hardly form a curve. The same problem occurs under MS
Windows with dev.copy2eps(). However, when I directly plot the device under
Windows, the dotted lines are nice. Thus, the problem is presumably special
to eps "export".
I know that I could do an easy workaround by using thick/thin lines or
black/grey ones, but publication offices say that such lines are hard to
distinguish for the reader in the final print version. Also, I searched this
list for  something like "high resolution plots", but I learend that eps as a
vector format does not have a fixed resolution (and thus no option to make
ist "higher"). Plotting the figure to another device (png, bmp) reveals  the
expected curves, but bitmaps are often not accepted.
Does anyone have a hint, or does anyone have the same problem? Thank you in
advance for your help!

Gregor

P.S.: The dotted lines are not fuzzy, but "stretched" in the way that the
point are to far away from each other to appear continuos. The same is with
other non-solid lines (dashed etc).

--
Dr. rer. nat. Gregor Volberg <gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de>
Institute for Experimental Psychology