[R] lme convergence

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Mar 27 05:24:53 CEST 2006

Dear Dr. Chaudhary:

	  Because your example is not self contained (i.e., your data.frame
"family" is not something distributed with R), I can only guess.

	  Have you tried things like the following:

	  with(family, table(cengirth, familyid))

	  If each level of familyid is associated with only one level of
cengirth, then it's clear that your data cannot support the estimation
of a random perturbation to the slope of the line for "cengirth"
associated with each level of familyid.  If you have only a very few
such linkages, I suggest you increase the iteration limit and try again;
  the lme documentation will tell you how to do that.

	  Also, have you read Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models in
S and S-Plus?  I've learned some extremely valuable things from Doug
Bates, including from the contents of this book, and I highly recommend
it.

	  If it were my problem and I'd done more or less all of the above
without getting an answer to my question, I might start looking for a
simpler example that would still replicate the error.  If I could have
copied a few lines of code out of your email, pasted them into R and
replicated your error, I almost certainly could have given a more
precise diagnosis.  If you get a simple example that you still don't
understand and would like further help from this group, PLEASE do read
the posting guide! "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html" and submit a
follow-on question describing this simple example and what you don't
understand about it.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves