[R] load huge image

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 27 09:49:56 CEST 2006

    Gottfried> hello, i have run around 65000 regressions and
    Gottfried> stored them in a list. then i stored the session
    Gottfried> with save.image on my hard disk. the file is
    Gottfried> almost 1GB. when i now want to load the image it
    Gottfried> took tons of time. even after 12h of loading it
    Gottfried> was not done, although the saving was done fairly
    Gottfried> fast.

I'm sure it takes so lang because you (i.e. R) run out of RAM
and the machine starts to swap.

Try to get access to a Linux (or other Unix-alike) machine with
a 64-bit version of R and about 8 GB of RAM (maybe 4 GB is
already sufficient). I guess then you should be able to read it
much more quickly.

For 65000 regressions, do you need more than the estimated
coefficients or -- a bit more informatively -- the

  coef(summary( <lm-fit> ))  result ?

If you had only saved these coefficient matrices, I'm sure you'd
have need **much** less memory.

    Gottfried> i fear i have to run the regressions again and
    Gottfried> store them in a database ...

or really store what you need instead of everything ...