[R] seq(2,5,-2) not an error but NULL

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Mar 27 16:02:01 CEST 2006

On 3/27/2006 8:28 AM, Robin Hankin wrote:
> Hi.
>
> seq() is a complex beast indeed.   'by' being the wrong
> sign is a special case of the behaviour seen in the
> following code snippets, the first of which is correctly
> rejected by seq(), the second of which should arguably
> return a three element complex vector.
>

>  > seq(from=1,to=3,by=1+1i)
> Error in n < 0 : invalid comparison with complex values
>
>  > seq(from=1,to=4+3i,by=1+1i)
> Error in n < 0 : invalid comparison with complex values

I don't think seq() could reasonably be expected to handle "to" and "by"
arguments with complex values.  Trying to divide the (to-from)
difference by (by) to find how many steps to take would usually result
in enough rounding error that the result wouldn't be real-valued.  It's
enough of a miracle that it correctly handles

seq(from=1, by=1+1i, len=4)

Duncan Murdoch