[R] comparing AIC values of models with transformed, untransformed, and weighted variables

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 27 17:43:46 CEST 2006

Two comments:

1) The log-likelihood and hence AIC for a model for log X are not
comparable with those of a model for X.  You need to make an additive
adjustment when you transform: it is quite easy to work out what from the
definitions.

2) The AIC given by glm() for weighted models was wrong in R < 2.3.0
alpha.  I am not sure why you are using a glm for what appears to be a
least-squares fit: use lm() instead (or try 2.3.0 alpha).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk