[R] Help understanding behavior of apply vs sapply

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Tue Mar 28 03:40:50 CEST 2006

Hi,

I was surprised that apply and sapply don't return the same results in
the example below.  Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

> zls <- function(x) character(0)
> m <- matrix(0, nrow=2, ncol=2)
> apply(m, 1, zls)
character(0)
> sapply(m, zls)
[[1]]
character(0)

[[2]]
character(0)

[[3]]
character(0)

[[4]]
character(0)

> R.version
               _
platform       powerpc-apple-darwin8.5.0
arch           powerpc
os             darwin8.5.0
system         powerpc, darwin8.5.0
status         alpha
major          2
minor          3.0
year           2006
month          03
day            27
svn rev        37590
language       R
version.string Version 2.3.0 alpha (2006-03-27 r37590)