[R] gam y-axis interpretation

Simon Wood sw283 at maths.bath.ac.uk
Tue Mar 28 13:15:32 CEST 2006

All smooths in a GAM are `centred' in order to ensure model
identifiability. This means that a smooth, s, is estimated subject to the
constraint that \sum_i s(x_i)=0, where, x_i, are the covariate values.
So you can't transform back to the response scale just by applying the
inverse link, even if there is only one smooth. In the single smooth case,
you would need to add on the model intercept before applying the inverse
link. If you need plots on the response scale then it is best to use the
`predict' method function and have it return results on the `"response"'
scale...

best,
Simon