[R] R crashes during 'eigen'

apjaworski at mmm.com apjaworski at mmm.com
Tue Mar 28 19:45:49 CEST 2006

It looks like there might be a bug in the symmetry detection routine of
eigen.   When I do

eigen(M, symmetric=FALSE)

it works fine.  Eigenvalues (after omitting their imaginary parts, which
are essentially zeros) are the same as the ones obtained with EISPACK to
within a small multiple of machine epsilon.

However, the eigenvector matrices seem different !  This happens on
R-2.2.1-patched and R-2.3.0 (both compiled from daily snapshots).

Andy

PS.  My system is Windows 2000 on a Xeon CPU.  I use precompiled Pentium 4
Rblas DLL from CRAN, but the same thing happens with standard Rblas.

__________________________________
Andy Jaworski
518-1-01
Process Laboratory
3M Corporate Research Laboratory
-----
E-mail: apjaworski at mmm.com
Tel:  (651) 733-6092
Fax:  (651) 736-3122

             "C.J.Albers"
             <C.J.Albers at open.
             ac.uk>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
             r-help-bounces at st                                          cc
             at.math.ethz.ch
                                                                   Subject
                                       [R] R crashes during 'eigen'
             03/28/2006 10:01
             AM

Hi all,

Hi,

When I want to compute the eigenvalues & eigenvectors of a specific
matrix, R crashes (i.e. it stops responding to any input). I've tried it
with different versions of R (2.1.1, 2.2.0, 2.2.1) - all with crashing
as result.

What I did before the crash was:

M <- as.matrix(read.table("thematrix",header=T))
eigen(M)

If, instead of eigen(M), I use eigen(M, EISPACK=T), R doesn't crash. So,
I know a workaround my problem, but still don't understand why R
crashes. Could anyone explain this?
In case someone wants to download my matrix to see where it goes wrong,
it can be downloaded from http://mcs.open.ac.uk/cja235/thematrix
(warning: obviously, R might crash so save your unsaved work first).

thanks,
Casper Albers

             [[alternative HTML version deleted]]