[R] cat(), Rgui, and support for carriage return \r...

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 29 09:49:55 CEST 2006

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 3/28/2006 11:00 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> Rgui now supports \r in the same way as rterm.
>
> I notice that there's a slight change to the colour scheme:  now the prompt
> ">" is in foreground colour, rather than user colour.  This might make sense
> (it's printed by the system, after all), but it looks a little strange at
> first.

Yes, it was intentional.  The problem is that you can now do

> cat("abcde\rf")

and then the next line will be

f> de

with the cursor on the 'd'.  There is no longer a left-right divide
between system output and user input, as you can have output to the right
of user input.  The previous behaviour was to mark as system output all
the columns up to the 'e' here, so when you started entering new input it
looked very odd indeed, changing colour in mid-word.

I can change to making the prompt be explicitly regarded as user input,
which would be backwards compatible and less odd in cases like this.