[R] load file RData which store in zip file

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 29 12:42:29 CEST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> Hi. R can do all of this for you. See ?save.image and especially the
> 'compress' argument.

It is nice to know that we anticipated your needs.  It is actually even
easier.  If you do (using the Rtools or other sources, or on a Unix-alike)

gzip filename.RData
mv filename.RData.gz filename.RData

R will read the compressed file directly (you don't need to rename it, but
it helps keep things tidy).

[As an aside, I wonder whether compress=TRUE should not be the default for
binary save/save.image.  It adds little time and may save a lot of disc
space.]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk