[R] R crashes during 'eigen'

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 29 18:01:55 CEST 2006

    >> It looks like there might be a bug in the symmetry detection routine of
    >> eigen.   When I do
    >>
    >> eigen(M, symmetric=FALSE)
    >>
    >> it works fine.

    Simon> - but the matrix is symmetric, which seems to be correctly detected
    Simon> (since eigen() hangs whether symmetric=TRUE is supplied or not).

    >> Eigenvalues (after omitting their imaginary parts, which
    >> are essentially zeros) are the same as the ones obtained with EISPACK to
    >> within a small multiple of machine epsilon.
    >>
    >> However, the eigenvector matrices seem different !  This happens on
    >> R-2.2.1-patched and R-2.3.0 (both compiled from daily snapshots).

    Simon> - This is OK isn't it? All the non-zero eigenvalues are the same for this
    Simon> matrix, so the eigenvectors can't be uniquely defined, can they?

Indeed, you are right, Simon.

But anyway the fact is that the LAPACK based eigen seems to end
in an infinite loop, and I can confirm the behavior for at least
R 2.2.1, R-patched and R-devel (aka "2.3.0 alpha") with the "R
builtin" versions of BLAS and LAPACK and also with Atlas.

Seems quite a bad story to me at the moment.
I assume that octave (or matlab) which are also based on BLAS +
LAPACK internally can eigen-decompose the matrix correctly?
Could anyone check this (without much effort) for us?

Thanks in advance,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

    Simon> best,
    Simon> Simon

    >> - Simon Wood, Mathematical Sciences, University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY
    >> -             +44 (0)1225 386603         www.maths.bath.ac.uk/~sw283/

    >> Andy
    >>
    >> PS.  My system is Windows 2000 on a Xeon CPU.  I use precompiled Pentium 4
    >> Rblas DLL from CRAN, but the same thing happens with standard Rblas.
    >>
    >> __________________________________
    >> Andy Jaworski
    >> 518-1-01
    >> Process Laboratory