[R] Optim and likelihood computations

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Mar 29 21:10:01 CEST 2006

	  For general maxiimum likelihood estimation, have you considered the
function "mle" in library(stats4)?  I've learned some things (a) reading
the documentation for "mle" and for other topics listed under "See Also"
and (b) working the "Examples" in the documentation.

	  Regarding AR structures, there are many capabilities for time series
in R scattered in numerous packages.  Since you are new to R, have you
read Venables and Ripley (2002) Modern Applied Statists with S
(Springer)?  Ch. 14 deals with time series.  I highly recommend this
book for R in general, and this chapter provides a reasonable
introduction to a few of the time series capabilities in the base R
distribution.

	  Beyond that, have you worked through the vignettes associated with
the "zoo" package? If no, you might find that quite useful. [Are you
aware that edit(vignette(...)) will provide a script file with the R
code discussed in the vignette, which can be viewed in Adobe Acrobat
while you are working throught the examples line by line, modifying
them, etc.? I've found this to be very useful. If you use XEmacs,
"edit(vignette(...))" may not work. Instead, try
Stangle(vignette(...)$file). This will copy the R code to a file in the
working directory, which you can then open.]

	  I've also found the dse bundle and its vignettes very interesting and
usefulfor time series.  Beyond that, you might try the Rmetrics project
(www.rmetrics.org).

	  I expect that other questions will occur to you in the process of
reviewing or trying to apply some of the material I just suggested.
Please feel free to post other questions to this list -- but please
first also review the posting guide!
"www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html";  doing so might increase your
chances of getting useful answers quicker.

	  hope this helps.
	  spencer graves