[R] Random effects ANOVA?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 30 09:36:20 CEST 2006

I think you want print or summary rather than anova.  anova() is not very
useful for aov() models even without error strata.  The point of the aov
classes is that they present the results of lm() fits in ways which are
more conventional for designed experiments, including giving conventional
ANOVA tables without recourse to anova().

I didn't follow how the videos were chosen.  Random effects apply when the
'treatments' were chosen from a large population (which might apply if
each subject watched (on separate occasions) three videos chosen randomly
from a larger pool), and if the interest is in the variability of the
response over videos in the pool.  If subjects were observed more than
once then I suspect you most likely want a random effect for subjects.

What I guess is more likely is that you have 60 measurements on 60
subjects, each of whom was assigned one video and one drink.  Then there
appear to be no random effects, and the problem caused by randomly
selecting videos is that the experiment is likely to be unbalanced (since
each video is not going to be selected 20 times by chance).  aov() is
primarily intended for balanced designs, and interpretation is tricky
without balance (see the warnings on its help page).

There are many loose ends hindering offering help by email, and the best
advice is to consult a statistician face-to-face about an appropriate
analysis.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk