[R] Converting shapefiles to use in contour plots

nhy303 at abdn.ac.uk nhy303 at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Mar 30 11:28:12 CEST 2006

Dear R-users,

I have imported a shapefile with depth contours for a sea:

depths<-read.shape("D://My Documents/BarentsSea.shp",dbf.data=T)

(This is in mercator projection)

**Is there a way to convert this shapefile into a format that it may be
plotted on a contour plot?**

I wish to add these contours onto a map (already coded using 'maps'
package) to map the sea contours with surrounding coastlines and answers
to my previous question (thankyou to everyone for that) seem to suggest
that using contour plot is the way to go.

Thankyou again,

Lillian.

--
Lillian Sandeman