[R] Data File Size Problem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 31 10:27:55 CEST 2006

By at least some definitions, a `large file' is one over 2Gb, so yours is
hardly `huge'.

I don't know what .dat format is (or, rather, I know many different
definitions of it).  But your problem seems a small one
for the current limits of 32-bit R for Windows, and on more capable
platforms (e.g. 64-bit Unix or Linux) a tiny one.  Just make sure you have
lots of RAM in your computer: R can make use of up to 3Gb (and the OS will
want some, too).