[R] Reduce/eliminate console printing time?

Toby Daniel Ahrens tahrens at stanford.edu
Fri Mar 31 19:20:41 CEST 2006

Hi:

I have been writing some functions in R that are about 500-1000 lines long,
and when I copy and paste the code into the R console, it takes about 20-30
seconds for R to “print” and run the code at the console command line (and
this is just for function definition - R isn't actually executing any
commands).  If I minimize the R console so that it shows only one line at a
time, screen “printing” time can be cut in half, but it would be nice to
reduce this further when I am changing the code fairly often.  Is there any
way to make the code run in R without ever printing each line in the R
console (such as printing to a “back” screen that isn’t visible)?

Thanks very much and waiting impatiently,

Toby