[R] Pasting data into scan()

Murray Jorgensen maj at stats.waikato.ac.nz
Tue May 2 01:55:03 CEST 2006

The file TENSILE.DAT from the Hand et al "Handbook of Small Data Sets"
looks like this:

0.023	0.032	0.054	0.069	0.081	0.094
0.105	0.127	0.148	0.169	0.188	0.216
0.255	0.277	0.311	0.361	0.376	0.395
0.432	0.463	0.481	0.519	0.529	0.567
0.642	0.674	0.752	0.823	0.887	0.926

except that my mail client has replaced the tab separators by blanks. If
I paste this data into R 2.2.1 what I get is

 > strength <- scan()
1: 0.0230.0320.0540.0690.0810.094
1: 0.1050.1270.1480.1690.1880.216
Error in scan() : scan() expected 'a real', got
'0.0230.0320.0540.0690.0810.094'
 > 0.2550.2770.3110.3610.3760.395
Error: syntax error in "0.2550.2770"
 > 0.4320.4630.4810.5190.5290.567
Error: syntax error in "0.4320.4630"
 > 0.6420.6740.7520.8230.8870.926
Error: syntax error in "0.6420.6740"

Aha! I thought, what I need is     scan(sep = "\t")
but this generates the same error messages.

Help!   Murray

--
Dr Murray Jorgensen      http://www.stats.waikato.ac.nz/Staff/maj.html
Department of Statistics, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand