[R] lme: null deviance, deviance due to the random effects, residual deviance

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Tue May 2 06:46:38 CEST 2006

Andrew and Spencer,

Thanks for your answers. I was feeling that moving from "variance" and
least-square estimates to "deviance" and MLE or REML was the reason why
I could not find easy equivalent estimates for the "proportion of
variation" of a given effect to the total. Thus this was not a trivial
issue... I will try and understand Andrew's function which will be
helpful to make the things clearer in my mind. Your advice both are
useful and drive people on the good track.

All the best,

Patrick