[R] install R under suse: packages dependency

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu May 4 03:24:24 CEST 2006

[zhihua li]

>I'm trying to install R 2.3.0 under Suse 10.0.   As I'm using SSH to
>login into the SUSE server, I can't use YAST2,

I presume this is because you cannot remotely mount the CD's or DVD's?
The next time you visit your server, if possible, copy your distribution
media to your hard disks, you'll find out that this is really a useful
thing to do.  You can later use YaST2 to install from the copies you
made, even remotely.  There is no problem using YaST2 over SSH, either
in graphical mode (if you used `ssh -X') or in text mode.

In my experience, R 2.3.0 installs painlessly under SuSE 10.0, and needs
nothing which is not already available on the distribution media.
Should I say, I'm still impressed (even astonished) that R installation
succeeds so easily, given the size and complexity of the distribution.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca