[R] data manipulation docs

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Thu May 4 16:20:21 CEST 2006

Hi All,

Is there some document/manual about data manipulation within R that I
could use as a reference (obviously, aside the R manuals)?

The reason I am asking is that I have a number of data frames/matrices
containg genetic data. The data is in a character form, as in:

   V1 V2 V3 V4 V5
1 AA AG AA GG AG
2 AC AA AA GG AG
3 AA AG AA GG AG
4 AA AA AA GG AG
5 AA AA AA GG AA

I need, to chop, subset, and variously manipulate this kind of data,
sometimes keeping the data in its character format, sometimes converting
it to numeric form (i.e. substitute each data point with the equivalent
factor value). Since the data is ofthe quite big, I have to keep things
memory efficient.

This whole game is getting excedingly time consuming and frustrating,
because I end up with random pieces of code that I save, patching a
particular problem, but difficult to be 'abstracted' for a new task, so
I get back close to square one annoyingly often.

Cheers,

Federico Calboli

--
Federico C. F. Calboli
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health

Tel  +44 (0)20 7594 1602     Fax (+44) 020 7594 3193

f.calboli [.a.t] imperial.ac.uk
f.calboli [.a.t] gmail.com