[R] Nested model and variance partitioning

bady at univ-lyon1.fr bady at univ-lyon1.fr
Thu May 4 17:36:33 CEST 2006

hi, hi all,

> I am not quite sure what you mean by "outcome" but I try to be more precise.
> I have 4 spatial scales with:
> - One sample per habitat (i.e. substratum)
> - Many habitats per site
> - One or many sites per river

maybe, you can use a more general variable “type of river” (?)

> - Many rivers per regions
> - Two regions
> Each scales is described by one or many variables:
> - Habitat: type of substratum
> - Site: altitude, distance from the source, slope, drainage area
> - River: drainage area, altitude of the source, slope, type of geology
> - Regions: 2 modalities
> First I could try a nested ANOVA such as:
> SR = habitat + Site / River / Region
> But I am rather interested by which variables in each scales explains the
> species richness variance. So something like this:
> SR = substratum + (alt+dfs+sl+da) / (da+as+s+geol) / Region

> But I don't know if i) if it is the good model and

I don’t know.
In your context, the organisation of the stratification is an ecological
problem.

> ii) how to proceed with the lmne package.

You can consult :

- the documentation of the package nlme

- http://zoonek2.free.fr/UNIX/48_R_2004/17.html (english version :
http://zoonek2.free.fr/UNIX/48_R/13.html). In this document, there is many
information about the procedure of variance decomposition with R.

- http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2005-1.pdf (see “Fitting linear
mixed models in R” by Douglas Bates)

- etc.

Regards,