[R] axis manipulation in levelplot

Toby Daniel Ahrens tahrens at stanford.edu
Thu May 4 20:52:55 CEST 2006

Hi:

I am trying to print multiple levelplots on a single page, and I am having
trouble manipulating individual axes on the plots.  I do not want a box
around the entire plot; on some plots I would like to show only the x-axis
(with line, tick marks and labels), and on other plots both x- and y-axes.

I am working from Windows XP with R 2.0.1, and my code is below. Right now,
the code results in a contour plot printed with ticks and labels only on
the x axis, but the plot still has a box around the entire plot.  If I set
the axis.line in trellis.par.set to "transparent", I lose the box and the
x-axis line and ticks, and I can't figure out how to re-print them.

Thanks very much in advance,

Toby

Here is the code that I am working from, although I have not included my
data (w$data) to keep the size of this email small:

a=levelplot(data~x+y, w, aspect = "iso",cuts=100,
col.regions=c(rgb(0:255,0:255,255,max=255),rev(rgb(255,0:255,0:255,max=255))),xlab="",ylab="",colorkey=F,
scales=list(draw=F))

trellis.par.set(list(background=list(col="white"),axis.line = list(col =
"black")))
print(a,position=c(0.1,0.1,1,1),split=c(1,1,2,2),more=T)
trellis.focus("panel", 1, 1, clip.off=TRUE, highlight=FALSE)
panel.axis("bottom", check.overlap=TRUE, outside=TRUE)