[R] large data set, error: cannot allocate vector

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Fri May 5 20:31:11 CEST 2006

On May 5, 2006, at 11:28 AM, Jason Barnhart wrote:
> ?Memory

Thanks.  That pointed me to mem.limits(), gc(), and object.size().

> ?memory.size will be very useful to you in resolving this.

That gave me an error:

R > ?memory.size
No documentation for 'memory.size' in specified packages and libraries:
you could try 'help.search("memory.size")'

> Not sure what OS you are using, but Windows will be more
> restrictive on
> memory (depending on whether you're using a Server edition, etc.

I'm using R-2.3.0-2 under Fedora Core 4/Linux, which apparently
doesn't seem have any set limits:

R > mem.limits()
nsize vsize
    NA    NA

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent