[R] OT: DOE - experiments for teaching

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat May 6 00:58:38 CEST 2006

	  I fully endorse Richard Heiberger's recommendation of the Bill Hunter
articles on teaching experimental design.  For a college-level semester
D0E class, I had students do experiments in groups.  I found it wise to
have them do a preliminary presentation with a discussion of the
experimental design plus their protocol for managing all the details of
test materials, data collection, etc., then a final report with the
results.  Many students did fine, but some were clearly clueless about
the whole process, which indicated a need for some adjustment in what I
taught or in some individual assistance.

	  If this is just a few hours or a 1-day thing, you might consider
"http://www.prodsyse.com/exped2b.pdf".

	  hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves