[R] qu: predict with lmer (lme4) or other ways to get classification accuracy

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun May 7 17:07:07 CEST 2006

	  Checking 'help("lmer")' leads me also to 'help("lmer-class")', both
of which are helpful.  Unfortunately, I know of no general "predict"
method that's available for an object of class 'lmer'.  A preliminary
function of that nature is as follows:

predict.lmerBin <- function(object, X){
# object has class "lmer"
# X = model matrix with columns
#     matching object at X
   if(missing(X))
     X <- object at X
#
   b <- fixef(object)
   X %*% b
}

	  ## To use this, you need to know how to use
# 'preduct.glm'.

# Example using data(Contraception), discussed in
(mlmR <- vignette("MlmSoftRev")) # opens in Adobe Acrobat
# To open a script file companion to vignette("MlmSoftRev")
#edit(mlmR) # with Rgui
#Stangle(mlmR$file) # with ESS

fitBin <- lmer(use ~ urban+age+livch+(1|district),
                Contraception, binomial)
predict.lmerBin(fitBin)

	  Does this answer your question?
	  Spencer Graves
p.s.  If your example had been simple and self-contained, it would have
been to reply, because I could copy a few lines of R code from your
email into R, tested a few ideas, and craft a reply in a very few
minutes, if not seconds.  Without that, crafting a sensible reply takes
more time, partly because it's less clear what you need to know to move
to the next step, and partly because after I guess what you are really
asking, I must next hunt for a suitable example.