[R] microsoft proxy & R project

Nolwenn LeMeur nlemeur at fhcrc.org
Mon May 8 08:25:23 CEST 2006

Hi Laurent,

You should look the R windows FAQ web page:

(a) Use the alternative |internet2.dll| by starting R with the flag
--internet2 (see How do I install R for Windows?
<http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#How-do-I-install-R-for-Windows_003f>)
which uses the Internet Explorer internals (and so needs Internet
Explorer 4 or later installed). Note that this does not work with
proxies that need authentication.

(b) A proxy needs to be set up: see |?download.file|. Here are two
versions of an example (a real one, but from a machine that is only
available locally) of a command-line in a short cut:

     "path_to_R\bin\RGui.exe" http_proxy=http://user:pass@gannet:80/

     "path_to_R\bin\RGui.exe" http_proxy=http://gannet/ http_proxy_user=ask

The second version will prompt the user for the proxy username and
password when HTTP downloads are first used.

Nolwenn