[R] trying to use standard notation

Andrew Gelman gelman at stat.columbia.edu
Tue May 9 16:46:03 CEST 2006

Hi, all.  In setting up my package for post-processing regression
models, I am trying to use standard notation as much as possible:  thus,
I use coef() to access estimated coefficients.  I wrote a function
called se.coef() to grab standard errors, and se.fixef() and se.ranef()
to grab se's from coefficients estimated from lmer().

I also need a function to access sigma-hat (the residual sd of the
regression).  I've called this function sigma.hat(), but I'm open to
using a better name if there's something more standard.

I also have a function called sim() that makes simulations using lm() or
glm() output (based on the curvature of the likelihood function or, to
put it another way, approximate Bayesian inference assuming a flat prior
distribution).  sim() returns a list:  with two components:  (1) beta, a
matrix of simulated coefficients (with dimension n.sims by k), and (2)
sigma, a vector of simulated sigma's (with length n.sims).

I'll be doing more, but these are the basics for now.  I need to be able
to pull these objects out as necessary.  And I just was wondering if
anyone had suggested names for the functions that are more consistent
with R naming conventions.

Thanks,
Andrew

--
Andrew Gelman
Professor, Department of Statistics
gelman at stat.columbia.edu
www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman

Statistics department office:
  Social Work Bldg (Amsterdam Ave at 122 St), Room 1016
  212-851-2142
Political Science department office:
  International Affairs Bldg (Amsterdam Ave at 118 St), Room 731
  212-854-7075

Mailing address:
  1255 Amsterdam Ave, Room 1016
  Columbia University