[R] Can't there be a cd command?

Issac Trotts issac.trotts at gmail.com
Tue May 9 23:50:46 CEST 2006

R is quite a powerful environment.  Here's a small way it could be even better.

I wanted to change the working directory, so I tried the obvious thing

> cd("foo")
Error: couldn't find function "cd"

Then I looked for `directory' in the FAQ but found nothing.  A search
for directory in the introduction also turned up nothing.

A Google search for "gnu R change directory" brought up a link to the
Windows FAQ, and there was the answer: setwd.  Oddly enough, setwd is
not mentioned in the general FAQ, the introduction, or the language
definition.

Hopefully someone can add a mention of setwd to the general FAQ or the
intro.  Even better would be to have a cd() command, since that's what
almost every beginner will try first.