[R] time-dependent covariate survival curves

Hua Ding hua.ding at vanderbilt.edu
Thu May 11 19:35:52 CEST 2006

Dear r-users,

Does anyone know how to draw time-dependent survival curves?

Example:

Event outcome: CHD
Time-dependent covariate: NSAID use, which changes over time for each
subject
I'm interested in survival curves stratified by NSAID use.

I'd like to implement Simon & Makuch (1984) method. Is there a R
package/function to draw this graph?

Two related papers:

Simon R, Makuch RW. A non-parametric graphical representation of the
relationship between survival and the occurrence of an event:
application to responder versus non-responder bias.  Statistics in
Medicine 1984; 3: 35-44.

Schultz LR, Peterson EL, Breslau N. Graphing survival curve estimates
for time-dependent covariates.  Int'l J of Methods in Psychiatric
Research 2002; 11: 68-74.

Rebecca Ding    Biostatistician II
School of Medicine
Department of Biostatistics