[R] Quantian (was: Using DBI and RMySQL)

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Thu May 11 20:19:23 CEST 2006

On May 11, 2006, at 11:47 AM, bogdan romocea wrote:

>> I'll see if I can reproduce the steps under Knoppix[1].  Then you can
>> run Knoppix with a Persistent Disk Image (PDI)[2] that contains R,
>> the DBI, and RMySQL on just about any machine that runs Knoppix.
>
> Don't bother, it's been done already. See
> http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html

I've heard of Quantian although I've never been on a system on which
I can use it.  All the x86 boxes to which I have access do not have
DVDs and Quantian will not run on my Mac, even under VPC.  That's why
I prefer using Knoppix with a PDI on a USB stick or drive.  CD-ROMs
and USB are just more common, which is important if I want to be
portable.

How is Quantian?  Has anyone here used it or is using it?

Regards,
- Robert
http://www.cwelug.org/downloads
Help others get OpenSource software.  Distribute FLOSS
for Windows, Linux, *BSD, and MacOS X with BitTorrent