[R] "Process R is not running" on emacs 21.2.1 using ESS 5.3.0 and R2.3.0 on Mac OSX 10.4.6

Constantinos Antoniou costas at mit.edu
Fri May 12 20:04:01 CEST 2006

Dear R-helpeRs,

I was not sure if this is ESS-specific or Mac-specific etc, so I send
in the main list. I had the setup emacs+ess+R 2.2.1 running fine (on
a powerbook G4).

I recently upgraded R to 2.3.0 and it runs fine from the GUI and from
the terminal. However, when I try to run it from emacs (which was
running fine with R2.2.1) I get the "Process R is not running" message.

I upgraded ess to the latest version 5.3.0 (in case it had sth to do
with it), but it did not help. I also ran emacs as root (an old
message in the list suggested that this helped, albeit in a different
setup), but the result was the same.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Costas