[R] bitwise addition

Nameeta Lobo nlobo at bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri May 12 22:35:44 CEST 2006

Hi again

Sorry I should have been more specific the first time. I am not actually trying
to generate this matrix but what am trying to do is to write a loop which takes
an input of 0000, does a bitwise addition, then checks to see if the new number
generated has two 1s(I just summed the values to get 2) and if it does outputs
that to a matrix. It goes on doing it till it reaches 1111.

So my final output for the above would read
0011
0101
0110
1001
1010
1100

For 2^6, I was looking for three 1s and so on.

I wrote this in a for loop etc. Created the original matrix with expand.grid
command that you guys helped me out with before.

My only concern was that for e.g. 2^25 or higher, not much space can be
allocated to the creation of the original matrix and then also because of the
loops there is the problem of computer time. So was just wondering if it was
easier to do it via bitwise addition.

thanks a lot for your help everyone.

any more suggestion!!!!

nameeta