[R] Maximum likelihood estimate of bivariate vonmises-weibulldistribution

Chaouch, Aziz achaouch at NRCan.gc.ca
Fri May 12 22:47:58 CEST 2006

Thanks Dimitris!!! That's much clearer now. Still have a lot of work to
do this weekend to understand every bit but your code will prove very
useful.

Cheers,

Aziz

-----Original Message-----
From: Dimitrios Rizopoulos [mailto:Dimitris.Rizopoulos at med.kuleuven.be]
Sent: May 12, 2006 4:35 PM
To: Chaouch, Aziz
Subject: RE: [R] Maximum likelihood estimate of bivariate
vonmises-weibulldistribution

look at the following code:

library(copula)
par(mfrow = c(2, 2))
x <- mvdc(normalCopula(sin(0.5 * pi /2)), c("norm", "norm"),
list(list(mean = 0, sd = 1), list(mean = 0, sd = 1))) contour(x, dmvdc,
xlim = c(-2.7, 2.7), ylim = c(-2.7, 2.7))

x <- mvdc(frankCopula(5.736276), c("norm", "norm"), list(list(mean = 0,
sd = 1), list(mean = 0, sd = 1))) contour(x, dmvdc, xlim = c(-2.7, 2.7),
ylim = c(-2.7, 2.7))

x <- mvdc(gumbelCopula(2), c("norm", "norm"), list(list(mean = 0, sd =
1), list(mean = 0, sd = 1))) contour(x, dmvdc, xlim = c(-2.7, 2.7), ylim
= c(-2.7, 2.7))

x <- mvdc(claytonCopula(2), c("norm", "norm"), list(list(mean = 0, sd =
1), list(mean = 0, sd = 1))) contour(x, dmvdc, xlim = c(-2.7, 2.7), ylim
= c(-2.7, 2.7))

the values of the association parameter I've chosen in each copula
correspond to Kendall's tau 0.5; assuming also standard normal
marginal distributions look at the different shapes you get!

If possible try something similar for you case (i.e., using von Mises
and Weibull marginals) and check if the association shape for a
specific copula is more appropriate for your application. If this is
not possible fit models assumig different copulas and check which one
provides a better fit to your data.

I hope it helps.

Best,
Dimitris