[R] model formulation in lme4

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Mon May 15 15:47:30 CEST 2006

When writing a model formula for lmer you need to decide how many
variance components are to be estimated as well as the number of
effects that are to be estimated.

I suspect that you want to have one variance component for the Rack
nested in Site:Depth and one variance component for the Rack:Treatment
interaction nested in Site:Depth, in which case you would write the
model formula as

Y ~ Site * Depth * Treatment + (1|Site:Depth:Rack) +
(1|Site:Depth:Rack:Treatment)