[R] R shared object with Fortran archive files

Theo Bell theo.bell at gmail.com
Mon May 15 17:08:59 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to create an R shared object using the R CMD SHLIB
command. I have some .o object files and some .a archive files (for
which I do not have the source code).

R does not seem to include the code that is in the .a files, as when I
use nm on the resulting shared library, there are lots of undefined
symbols and dyn.load complains of undefined symbols. I have checked
the .a archives and the symbols are defined there.

Basically, I want to know if it is possible to include Fortran .a
archive files as objects to be included in an R shared library. And if
so, how?

Thanks,
Theo