[R] Bioconductor AND Genetics Library

rgentlem rgentlem at fhcrc.org
Mon May 15 19:08:58 CEST 2006

Not much to add over what Thomas already reported. Some folks are
involved in both projects and we are certainly going to reuse as much
code as possible (in particular I think that progress is already being
made on SNP arrays).

Some of the distinction is to demonstrate clear focus for the projects,
and I hope that there will be other projects aimed at other types of
biological problems in the future and that the main designers and
developers of those projects also work towards integration with existing
code, which is one of the goals here. As it becomes clearer what sorts
of things work, what experiments are being carried out, I hope we move
towards common data formats and some infrastructure that can be reused
by other developers.

There is no reason that there be one particular download site, and
indeed lots of reasons to separate things out. Some of the tools needed
for users to manage different repositories are now in place in R, and I
suspect that they will mature and user experiences will become simpler.

We are also working on the biocViews tools (like CRAN task views but
also pretty different from that approach) that will make it easier for
users to navigate the existing 170 packages in Bioconductor now.

best wishes
   Robert

--
Robert Gentleman, PhD