[R] Fitting usual distributions.

Pair Pierre-Matthieu pmpair at softia.fr
Wed May 17 09:26:44 CEST 2006

Prof Brian Ripley a écrit :

> On Mon, 15 May 2006, Pair Pierre-Matthieu wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am currently writing a program whose goal is to fit usual
>> distributions (estimating parameters and confidence intervals for a
>> given distribution).
>>
>> After some research in R, R-help and google I have found most of what I
>> was looking for (especially thanks to MASS - fitdistr() ), however there
>> are still a few distributions I could not find R code for: Multinormal,
>> Truncated normal, Triangular, Uniform, Binomial, Multinomial.
>>
>> If there are any packages to fit these, a pointer in the right direction
>> would be most appreciated.
>

> You don't need R code for most of these.
>
> Binomial, Multinomial: the MLEs are the sample proportions, and the
> se's are textbook formulae.  Can also be done in fitdistr.
>
> Triangular, Uniform: non-standard estimation problems, but the MLEs of
> the
> support are the sample maximum and minimum.  For a CI, you will need a
> profile likelihood interval, or some such.
>
> Truncated normal: pretty easy to do in fitdistr, provided the
> truncation point is known (is it?).
>
> Multinormal: the MLEs are the sample mean and the sample covariance
> (divisor n).

Thank you for your help, this will be useful.

To answer your question, in the case of the truncated normal, the the
truncation point is unfortunately not necessarily known. I am currently
trying to figure out how to estimate the distribution parameters in this
case. If you are interested, I will post the answer when I have it.

Thanks again,

Pierre-Matthieu Pair
Softia Ingénierie
pmpair at softia.fr