[R] Repeatability and lme

Andrew Robinson A.Robinson at ms.unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 17 09:59:23 CEST 2006

Dear Roger,

I think that there is a problem with your strategy.  The problem is
that, because you have included random slopes within your model, the
quantity of variance explained by the random effects varies as a
function of Age.  Therefore it is not possible to pin down a single
repeatability, as I understand it.   Had you included only random
intercepts then you'd be on safe ground.

See, for example, Partitioning Variation in Multilevel Models.   By:
Goldstein, Harvey; Browne, William; Rasbash, Jon. Understanding
Statistics, 2002, Vol. 1 Issue 4, p223, 9p; (AN 8655390)

Cheers

Andrew