[R] about MCMC pack

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed May 17 18:15:24 CEST 2006

	  I'm not able to replicate the error.  The first example in the
"MCMCirtKd" help file worked fine for me.  It ran in under 4 minutes on
my computer.  The "plot" produced several pages of output, which
required manual intervention to move from one to the next.  The
'summary' command also seemed to perform appropriately, without an error
message.  I killed the second example after about 15 minutes of compute
time, so I don't know if it would have worked or not.  You might get
better help if you provide a simple, self-contained example that
actually replicates the error message you got (as suggested in the
posting guide, www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html).

	  What have you tried to simplify the problem?  For example, can you
find numbers smaller than 'burnin = 1000, mcmc = 10000' for which you
get the same problem, e.g., "burnin=2, mcmc=2" or 'burnin=100,
mcmc=100'?  If yes, that should substantially reduce the time required
to isolate this problem.

	  Also, if you change some of the arguments, when do you get the
problem and when does it disappear?  I noticed you specified 'thin=1,
verbose = 1, seed = NA,alphabeta.start = NA, b0 = 0, B0=0, store.item =
FALSE, store.ability=FALSE, drop.constant.items=TRUE'.  All but one of
these is at its default value.  In R, arguments assuming their default
values do not have to be provided.  If dropping one of these arguments
changes the behavior of the function, that's a problem.

	  In particular, what do you get with the default value for
'item.constraints'?  If the problem goes away, that suggests you need to
be more careful about specifying 'item.constraints'.

	  If this fails, my next step is 'debug':  You can make local copies of
MCMCirtKd (and MCMCordfactanal, which it calls to do most of the work)
and follow along, step by step, until you find where it bombs -- and
hopefully also in the process figure out what to change to fix it.

	  hope this helps.
	  Spencer Graves
p.s.  Please also include 'sessionInfo()';  otherwise, potential
respondents don't know if you are using an obsolete version of something
  that might already have been fixed.  My sessionInfo() is as follows:

Version 2.3.0 (2006-04-24)
i386-pc-mingw32

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
[7] "base"

other attached packages:
MCMCpack     MASS     coda  lattice
  "0.7-1" "7.2-27" "0.10-5" "0.13-8"